Strong Second Half Gives Triton Boys 65-49 Win Over Georgetown

Johnny Spears (#4) guards Darren Lewis (#10).

(Byfield) Maybe it was the addition of the wrestling crowd that filtered into the seats in the second half to watch the end of the Georgetown/Triton basketball game after the Triton/Hingham wrestling match ended.

Whatever the cause, Triton (7-9) played a spirited second half, especially late, making shots and defending tirelessly and came away with a crowd-pleasing ,65-49, win over the Royals (8-7) on Wednesday night at Triton.

Triton had defeated Lynnfield on Tuesday night while Georgetown got by Newburyport on the same night. That left both teams a bit tired for this game.

The first half ended tied, 29-29.  Darren Lewis (22 points) put up sixteen points in the first half for Triton while Johnny Spears (18 points) had twelve for Georgetown.

Unintentionally, Triton was able to stay close in the first half because they committed foul after foul.  What would normally seem like a bad idea wasn’t because Georgetown hit just six of sixteen attempts with two front-ends of one-and-one’s included.  So instead of fouling their way into a deficit, Triton left at the half tied.

The second half was a disaster for Georgetown.  They shot 25% (7-for-28) and missed seven more free throws.  Defensively, they gave up cuts to the basket and wide-open long range shots.  The Vikings were over 50% from the floor including a sizzling 6-for-10 from long range.

Richard Fecteau and Cal Kneeland collected five of the 3’s between them in the second half.

Triton jumped out with an 8-1 run and led 37-30 after two minutes.  However, by the end of the quarter and into the start of the 4th quarter Georgetown rode points from Tyler Wade, Patrick Bjork, and Ben Warren to cut their deficit to 45-41.  Later a three by Tyler had Georgetown still within range at 52-47 with 4 ½ minutes to go in the contest.

Georgetown likes to press and they can score quickly off of turnovers so that 5-point lead was anything but secure.  However, with the incoming, enthusiastic wrestling crowd in their seats, the Vikings were dominating and entertaining the rest of the game.

Darren Lewis breaks for the basket with Johnny Spears chasing.

In the last 4 ½ minutes, Triton produced thirteen points while limiting Georgetown to just two points.  The Royals missed seven shots from the field, four from the line, and had two turnovers.  Meanwhile, Cal Kneeland converted a rebound, and nailed a three.  Richard Fecteau hit a three.  John Mills had an old-fashioned three and Darren Lewis closed things out with a layup.

Richard Fecteau denies Tyler Wade the ball.

Richard Fecteau put some serious denial defense on Tyler Wade in the second half.  As a result the Royals struggled to ran any sort of organized offense in the second half and it caught up to them completely in the last 4 ½ minutes when good shots were hard to come by.

Johnny Spears and Tyler Wade collected 34 points between them.

Johnny Spears (18 points) and Tyler Wade (16 points) led the Royals scorers but had to take a ton of shots to get those points.  Defensively, however, that twosome had a hand in most of Triton’s nineteen turnovers.

Johnny was five-for-ten from the foul line while Tyler was two-for-nine.  Tyler even had an air-ball in the mix.  Be certain that fatigue had plenty to do with those results.  These kids are usually good shooters.

( I collect my own stats.  Take my own pictures and generate my own commentary.  Any mistakes are unintentional.)